On Saturday, May 9, 2015, the Women’s Musical Club of Winnipeg held its annual scholarship auditions at the Eva Clare Hall, at the University of Manitoba. The day was filled with many commendable performances from all 21 young Manitoba artists! The WMC congratulates the following winners:
- WMC Centennial (1915-2015) Scholarship $3,500 – Jaena Kim – Flute
- WMC Scholarship $3,000 – Ashley Boychuk – Soprano
- WMC Scholarship $2,500 – Ainsley Wray – Soprano
- Madeline Gauvin Scholarship $2,000 – Natalie Dawe – Cello
- Holtby Scholarship – $1,500 – Kristy Tucker – Bassoon
- Berythe Birse Scholarship – $1000 – Gregory Lewis – Violin
The WMC scholarship program has been a feature of the Women’s Musical Club mandate since 1915. Hundreds of young musicians have won these scholarships over the years, and many have gone on to achieve international acclaim. The names of the winners and the amounts of the awards are listed in a brochure which is updated yearly.
The six winners will perform and receive their scholarship cheques at the annual WMC Scholarship Winners’ Recital that will be held at 2:00 pm on Sunday, December 27th, 2015 at the Winnipeg Art Gallery. The public is invited to attend and be treated to an afternoon of amazing music from these talented Manitoban performers! Tickets are available through McNally Robinson Booksellers in December, through a subscription, or at the door (by cheque or cash only). Students $5 at the door only.
The concert in December will be a magical afternoon – with such diverse artists and repertoire! Save the date!