The Women’s Musical Club of Winnipeg is NOW offering 6 scholarships (totalling $11,500) to aspiring instrumentalists and vocalists to further their musical training.
|Madeleine Gauvin Scholarship||$2000|
|Phyllis Ilavsky Scholarship||$1500|
|Berythe Birse Scholarship||$1000|
The 2020 Scholarship auditions are to be held
Saturday May 9, 2020 (tentatively) at the
Eva Clare Hall, University of Manitoba.
Auditions begin at 9:00 a.m. with three adjudicators present. In order to ensure that an audience is present for the applicants on the day of their auditions, members of the public are invited to attend and are welcome at any time.
Applications for Scholarships may be completed by filling out the online application form. Please make sure you have first created a WMC User account and are logged in (login in the right sidebar) before beginning the application process. **The first 20 FULLY COMPLETED applications are being accepted!** (This means that ALL components of the application need to be received – the form completed, letter from your teacher received, photo uploaded, fees paid – etc….before an application is deemed COMPLETE – and can be counted as one of the 20)
Completed applications are due approximately 5 weeks in advance of the audition.
THE APPLICATION DEADLINE DATE – APRIL 12, 2020 (tentatively)
The Scholarship Winners perform each year in December, as part of the regular concert season while most students are at home for the holidays. The 2019 concert takes place at the Muriel Richardson Auditorium of the Winnipeg Art Gallery on Sunday, December 29th 2019 at 2 pm. After the performances, awards are presented and group photographs are taken. Read more about the Winners.
The scholarship program has been a feature of the Women’s Musical Club mandate since 1915. The names of the winners and the amounts of the awards are listed in a pamphlet which is updated yearly.
- Date of Birth
- Age **Age requirements as of April 30 : Instrumentalist: 17 to 27 years; Vocalists:: 18 to 29 years (Some exceptions regarding age may be at the invitation of the scholarship committee)**
- Email Address
- Permanent MB Address (These scholarships are intended for Manitoba Students. All applicants must be Canadian citizens or have permanent resident status, be a Manitoba resident, have studied for at least three consecutive years or be enrolled in a Manitoba degree program. )
- Temporary Address (if studying outside of Manitoba)
- Upload a publicity photo head shot (professional or casual image) (Acceptable file types: jpg, jpeg, png) which will be used for the program should you be chosen as a finalist.
- Performance discipline and type
- Accompanist (if applicable)
- List your performance selections for the live audition with complete titles of works, composer’s complete name with dates, in the order you will be performing them, with the exact times of each song & the total performance time. Please be sure of the total time for each piece. Total stage time for instrumentalists is 20 minutes and for vocalists is 15 minutes!
Keyboard Sonata in C Major, Hob.XVI:50 (7:00) . . . . . . . . . . Joseph Haydn (1732-1809)
I. Allegro Variations, Op.41 (7:30) . . . . . . . . . . Nikolai Kapustin (b. 1937)
English Suite No. 2 in A Minor, BWV 807 (3:30) . . . . . . . . . . Johann S. Bach (1685-1750)
Total time: 18:00 min.
CRITERIA FOR MUSIC SELECTION/PERFORMANCE:
- Music selection must be of diploma level.
- A single movement of a multi movement piece is acceptable.
- 2 Original (no photocopies) copies of the music must be given to adjudicators. (Accompanists can use copies.)
- Instrumentalists must prepare a minimum of three compositions of contrasting style and period with a total time of not less than fifteen minutes or more than twenty minutes. (maximum total stage time is 20 minutes!)
- Vocalists must prepare a group of songs of contrasting style and language with a total time of not less than ten minutes and not more than fifteen minutes. (Maximum total stage time is 15 mins.)
Adjudicators will stop your performance at your maximum time!
- Name, address and phone number of your present music teacher.
- A written letter stating that the candidate meets the criteria for age and music performance criteria (as outlined), from the current teacher or head of school of music in which the candidate is enrolled – must be mailed to Lynne Anderson, 879 Kebir Place, Wpg, MB, R3T 1X1 or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org This letter must be received before the deadline to ensure your application is complete
- School of music (if applicable)
- Highest Music Examination Achieved – Exam, Date & Grade/Percentage
- List of previous music scholarships held. **No application will be considered from a student who has won three previous WMC scholarships or has been a WMC Scholarship first place winner.**
- Describe your current academic program and expected outcome (i.e. level/degree and date of completion). If none, please indicate name of the institution you last attended.
- Write a brief statement of your musical aims.
A non-refundable fee of $50 must be received by the application due date. Payment can be made by etransfer to email@example.com (Please include “WMC Scholarships” and your name in the note), by PayPal (use the button below), or by mailing a cheque made payable to Women’s Musical Club of Winnipeg and sent to WMC Scholarships c/o Lynne Anderson, 879 Kebir Place, Wpg, MB, R3T 1X1.