On Saturday, May 12, 2018, the Women’s Musical Club of Winnipeg held its annual scholarship auditions in the Eva Clare Hall, at the University of Manitoba. The day was filled with many commendable performances from all 20 young Manitoba artists! The WMC congratulates the following winners:
- WMC Scholarship $3,000 – Paul Williamson– Piano
- WMC Scholarship $2,500 – Juliana Moroz – Cello
- Madeleine Gauvin Scholarship $2,000 – Christina Thanisch-Smith – Soprano
- Holtby Scholarship – $1,500 – Alexander Moroz – Viola
- Phyllis Ilavsky Scholarship – $1,500 – Jammie Lee – Piano
- Berythe Birse Scholarship – $1000 – David Liam Roberts – Cello
The WMC scholarship program has been a feature of the Women’s Musical Club mandate since 1915. Hundreds of young musicians have won these scholarships over the years, and many have gone on to achieve international acclaim. The names of the winners and the amounts of the awards are listed in a brochure which is updated yearly.
This year’s six winners will perform and receive their scholarship cheques at the annual WMC Scholarship Winners’ Recital that will be held at 2 p.m. on Sunday, December 30th, 2018 at the Winnipeg Art Gallery. The public is invited to attend and be treated to an afternoon of amazing music from these talented Manitoban performers! Single tickets are available online or at the door. Call 204-944-9431 for a subscription. Tickets $25; Under 30 – $15; Students $5.